Baltic AML Forum: the challenges of country risk assessment
Basel Institute senior advisor and former board member Hans-Peter Bauer presented at the Baltic AML Forum on 2 October on the topic of Country Risk Assessment - A Difficult Task.
The Forum was opened by the Lithuanian Minister of Finance and attended by 150 participants, who were mainly compliance officers and tech experts from Baltic-region banks, FinTech companies and cryptocurrency ventures.
Peter Bauer's presentation included references to the Basel AML Index, which raised particular interest for two reasons:
- because of the sophisticated methodology used to calculate risks of money laundering and terrorist financing (ML/TF) in countries around the world;
- because the 8th edition of the Basel AML Index, released on 19 August, attributes the lowest ML/TF country risk worldwide to Estonia – a country that recently attracted international attention for a major money laundering scandal including such reputable banks as Danske Bank, Deutsche Bank and J.P. Morgan Chase.
The Q&A session gave Peter an opportunity to explain the methodology and the results of the 2019 Basel AML Index rating. He emphasised the recommendation that Estonia – like Latvia and Lithuania – should undergo an FATF Mutual Evaluation review by regional body Moneyval at the earliest possible opportunity, in order to reestablish trust and the reputation of an otherwise well-functioning regulatory environment.
Find out more
- About the Basel AML Index and 8th edition country risk rankings
- How can Estonia have the lowest risk of money laundering in the Basel AML Index? by Kateryna Boguslavska
- Press release: Basel AML Index 2019: Too little progress – are AML systems effective?
Russia’s money laundering risks – what does the latest FATF report mean in practice?
Russia’s risk level in the Basel AML Index has hit a record low following a December 2019…
How tax advisers can protect themselves from money laundering risks
Kateryna Boguslavska, Project Manager of the Basel AML Index, spoke at the 12th European…